Wednesday, April 04, 2007

My Perfect Day

My Perfect Day happened over the summer. It was a typical warm day of 85 degrees (perfect temperature) in June and I had just gotten out of school a few weeks earlier. So the fact that summer was starting and school was done, I was overwhelmed with excitement with what to do at home. Looking back at this day, I didn't realize it was perfect until later when my friend had asked me how I would describe my perfect day. What first set off the perfection of this day, was the big breakfast my father had whipped up in the kitchen. The smell of hot pancakes, crackling bacon, and fluffy eggs found its way into my room to awake me from a deep slumber. As I was aroused and drawn to the smell, I admired my favorite scene of my family before scarfing down the meal. My dad was cooking, mom was reading the paper, and my sister was flipping through the Target ads. After I had satisfied my stomach, I got one of my favorite books "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova, and bathed in the sun reading. In my pj's I escaped into the world written on the pages as the warmth beat down and casted a sleepy spell upon me. My delightful doze was suddenly shooken awake by a cool breeze and my sister pulled my arm and looked at me with that puppy-begging look of hers. I knew what that meant and was only too happy to abide her request. We immediately set up the cones for goal posts in our jungle-like backyard and threw the soccer ball on the roof to start the game. After a couple hours of sweat, bruises, and my sister complaining I was playing unfair with the absence of a referree to call my "uncalled-for pushing," I settled for swimming in our lake-temperature pool. Though the water was freezing as usual, it felt like i was dunkening a mango ice down my throat. The instant refreshing cooldown was ever so satisfying and perfect. To top that off, I peered up from the water to find my dad starting the barbeque for our favorite gardenburger and cheeseburger dinner accompanied with barbequed corn and Cosco-baked french fries. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into my organic composed beef substitute. After helping out with the dishes, the sun set to a perfect radiant hot pink and blazing orange-blue that swooned me to pull out my book once again to finish the day. Sitting on my porch and occasionally starring off into space, watching my dog bark at squirrels, and feel the warm Sacramento river breeze brush against my face was a relaxing joy. The twinkle lights lighted up the enclosing night sky and highlighted the words in my book. The feeling of content was perfect. That day had been perfect.

-Maddy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home